Here’s a list of things I thought were worth sharing this week:
- WE DID IT, JOE! Out of over 850 entries, I made the longlist for the 2021 Richell Prize for Emerging Writers. I’m still in crazy shock and beyond honoured. When I tell you the amount of time I put into that entry, lawdamercy.
- On a much darker note, we mourn the passing of the brilliant Michael K. Williams. I just started re-watching Boardwalk Empire the other week, so he’s been top of mind. An absolutely premature and tragic loss. These words from former co-star Wendell Pierce during a 2014 interview are profound.
- In my role as Project & Events Manager for Media Diversity Australia, I get to work on some incredible programs. One of them is our 2022 Summer Internships for First Nations and culturally diverse final-year uni students in Australia. Entries are now open.
- Common Ground Towers are a well-known social housing estate in Sydney’s Inner West, and the residents have had an especially tough time this week during our state-wide lockdown here in NSW.
- Speaking of the pandemic, Guy Sebastian came under fire for this video, accused of “trying to be everything to everyone” (ahh, like most commercially successful artists?).
- My new bar cart arrived this week and I’m in full hostess mode! Well, for when we’re allowed to have guests over.
- Will Snoop Dogg perform the Menulog banger next year when he tours Australia? My money’s on hell yeah.
- The one and only Janet Jackson is dropping a two-part documentary and I am here. for. it.
- In a thorough Q&A for artists, Marque Lawyers outline information regarding NDAs (non-disclosure agreements), posting experiences on social media, how the laws play a part in what media can and cannot report on, and more
- I could care less about their work with Mr West, but FNZ are a massive Australian success story right now.
Thanks for reading. Let me know if you think there are ways to make this bulletin pop more—I’m all ears!
This newsletter is free but not cheap. So you can help it keep going: forward it to someone who’d like it, hire me for your media and content needs, book me as a host, or work with me on your promotional events.
If you’re seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can read previous issues and subscribe here.