Celebrating women is something we do on a regular basis at BossLady.tv so when International Women’s Day rolls around each year, it’s particularly exciting.
“The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights” ~ Gloria Steinem
International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. On an individual and collective scale, the most important issue facing girls and women in today’s digital world is that of respect, for ourselves and others.
Is it even possible to teach our girls to rediscover self-respect in a time where critiquing and lamenting the loss of certain values is looked upon as judging, being envious and “hating”? Fewer and fewer young women are comfortable in their own skin and confident in their character. Self-respect means not allowing peer influence from your girlfriends and sexual pressure from boys and men to overtake you and determine your worth. We’ve all fallen victim to it, those of us growing up without strong role models especially. When self-respect isn’t instilled in you, you turn to what surrounds you. You’re drawn to, and eventually wrapped up in, dreams consistently sold to you. And if you don’t know any better, you blindly follow their lead. It’s time for more of us to lead by the right example. On a simplistic yet hugely important level, mastering self-respect is the key to empowering girls as they become women.
We really love “The 10 Keys Of Understanding” from Act Like A Lady, Think Like The Boss. As we commemorate International Women’s Day 2013, have a read of these very real and tangible life lessons and set forth on making them happen!
1. The boss lady never ever relies on one source of income. She understands that diversification is one of the cornerstones of wealth. She works diligently to establish several streams of income so that if one of them stops her quality of life is not affected in any way.
2. The boss lady understands that she is never to be a slave to someone else’s vision. Even if she starts out as an employee somewhere; her plans are in place so that at some point she is able to make her exit, strategically. She will then have the funding and knowledge to embark on her journey to profits and success.
3. The boss lady is her own cheerleader. She is confident in her decision making and has mastered the “inner games” and has a high level of emotional intelligence.
4. The boss lady does not fear her competition. She understands that competition is necessary to keep her creative muscle in shape. She views her competitors as her greatest allies and she befriends them by forming profitable relationships with them. United we stand..divided we fall.
5. The boss lady understands that financial success is not a solo act, it’s a team sport. The people in her personal and professional life play an integral role in her attaining success and she acknowledges them graciously and expresses her appreciation towards them often.
6. The boss lady understands that she was given a gift and the world is her stage. She is a global brand. She connects and does business with people all over the globe that hail from every hemisphere of the planet.
7. The boss lady understands that she is a leader. She is a walking and breathing testament of success and will conduct herself in such a way that people that don’t even know her will be attracted to her, because of the way she presents herself to world every day.
8. The boss lady surrounds herself with winners. She understands that it is necessary to be very particular about the company she keeps, because she understands that you are who you attract and your circle of influence is a direct indication of how successful you are in life.
9. The boss lady never forgets where she comes from. She is a social entrepreneur and is dedicated to the success of those who have the desire and courage to transform their lives.
10. The boss lady won’t stop, because she just can’t stop.